U.S. Indicts Raúl Castro, Trump Intensifies Pressure Campaign Against Cuba
The Justice Department charged the former Cuban president over the 1996 shootdown of two aircraft, in a move widely seen as a major escalation in Washington’s campaign against Havana.
Cuba, PUREWILAYAH.COM — The United States has indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on murder and conspiracy charges related to the 1996 shootdown of two aircraft operated by Cuban exile activists, marking a dramatic escalation in the administration of President Donald Trump against the Cuban government.
The indictment, unsealed Wednesday in Miami, accuses the 94-year-old former leader and five Cuban officials of conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, destruction of aircraft, and four counts of murder.
The charges stem from the February 24, 1996 incident in which Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes operated by the anti-communist group Brothers to the Rescue, killing four Cuban-Americans. At the time, Cuba said the aircraft had repeatedly violated its airspace and had ignored warnings to turn away.
Trump Administration Intensifies Campaign Against Havana
The indictment comes amid rapidly escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.
Earlier this year, Trump declared that “Cuba is next” after the U.S.-backed operation that resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.
The Trump administration subsequently imposed a near-total energy blockade on Cuba and repeatedly threatened military action against the island.
On Wednesday, the United States Department of Defense announced that the USS Nimitz carrier strike group had arrived in the Caribbean, a deployment that analysts noted mirrors the military buildup that preceded the operation against Venezuela.
Allegations of a Pretext for Intervention
The indictment follows recent claims by U.S. intelligence officials that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones and was preparing possible attacks on the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base and targets in Key West.
Havana dismissed the allegations as fabricated and accused Washington of constructing a “fraudulent case” to justify military intervention.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla said the accusations were politically motivated and designed to legitimize aggression against the island.
Cuba Warns of “Incalculable Consequences”
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel warned that any military action against Cuba would trigger “a bloodbath with incalculable consequences” for the United States.
He stressed that Cuba poses no threat to any country and has no aggressive intentions.
The indictment was announced just days before the 124th anniversary of Cuba’s independence from Spain on May 30, adding to the symbolic significance of Washington’s move.
Rubio Offers Aid for a “New Cuba”
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington was prepared to provide $100 million in assistance to Cuba, provided the funds were distributed by the Catholic Church or other “trusted charitable groups.”
Rubio also spoke of helping build “a new Cuba,” a statement widely interpreted as signaling support for regime change.
In response, Rodríguez called Rubio a “mouthpiece of corrupt and vengeful interests” tied to anti-communist exile groups in South Florida.
A New Front in Washington’s Regional Strategy
The indictment of Raúl Castro represents the most serious legal action ever taken by the United States against a senior Cuban revolutionary leader.
Although Castro remains in Cuba and is not expected to be extradited, the move underscores Washington’s determination to intensify pressure on Havana and raises the prospect of a broader confrontation in the Caribbean.
For many observers, the legal case is not merely about a 30-year-old incident, but part of a larger U.S. strategy aimed at destabilizing Cuba’s government and reshaping the political landscape of Latin America. (PW)


